2011年9月23日星期五

Gymnastics in England

It was a case of one a-piece for England’s female trio as Rebecca Tunney took the vault title and Charlie Fellows the uneven bars, while all-around bronze medallist  Abi Caig weighed in at the end, winning gold on the floor after earlier finishing third in the vault.Tunney was third on the floor, and Fellows also picked up a bronze medal on the beam as Emma Nedov claimed Australia’s one victory of the day. For Tunney, victory made up for missing out in yesterday’s all around competition.
“It’s been really painful,” he said. “Three days in a row is hard but I tried to just grit my teeth and go for it.“On the high bar I just wanted to go clean. I knew I needed to stick the dismount to win. It hurt, but I did it.”“It’s really nice to be here as I did the Games in Bendigo in 2004.,” said Tweddle. “It was a great help to me in my career and so it’s nice to see Rebecca and Abi getting the same experience. Australia would normally beat us so it’s great to see England on top of the podium. It bodes well as it shows we’re doing the right things at junior level and hopefully we can carry that on through to the seniors.”Women’s coach Claire Duffy agreed: “It has been an amazing opportunity for them to be part of a multi-sport games. England is now starting to step up in gymnastics and all their hard work has paid off this weekend.”
England’s women gymnasts got the gold ball rolling earlier in the day when they bounded back to the top of the podium, winning three of the four competitions on individual apparatus, while all three of England’s male gymnasts added to their medal tallies as Dominick Cunningham took his third gold of the Games.
“I knew I had to come back and prove myself today so I’m very pleased,” said the Manchester gymnast. “I thought the bars would be my best chance of a gold but I made a mistake so it was great that I managed to win the vault.” Fellows, from Sandbach, said: “This has been a great experience and I’ve learnt a lot. I knew that I had a good chance on the bars - I’ve done the routine loads of times in the gym so I just tried to concentrate and pretend I was just training.”
Thompson grabbed his second gold of the Games with some style, scoring a personal best on the parallel bars. “It was my best performance ever,” he said. “I did well on the high bar too – for the third day in a row I haven’t fallen off.
“My body is aching but it’s been worth it.”For Bevan, the youngster in the team, winning two silver medals was a great way to end. “Considering I’m only 14 I think I’ve done pretty well,” he said. Medals for the bars were presented by Beth Tweddle, a world champion on the bars and former CYG champion, who trains at the same City of Liverpool club as Tunney and Caig. After dominating the team and individual all-around competitions, Cunningham was tipped to take a bagful of precious metal home today and the Birmingham gymnast ended with one of each colour from his five finals, while Jay Thompson led an England one-two in the parallel bars ahead of Brinn Bevan.Thompson also won silver on the pommel, while Bevan took silver on the floor behind Australia’s Declan Stacey.

没有评论:

发表评论